Swapping Carburetors

While the vast majority of Eric’s coupe is original, I decided that it was more important that it was reliable than original. I continuously had issues with it running smooth, and I think it is the carburetor. I decided to get a Summit 560 CFM, which is a more modern version of the Autolite 4100 that came with the car. I knew I would have some fabrication projects to make it work since the stock carb was hard lined in with custom bent tubes for both fuel and vacuum. Not to mention the linkage wouldn’t work. That said, it is an easily doable job, so I went to work.

Continue reading “Swapping Carburetors”

New Carpet for the 65 Coupe

One of the first things I noticed when I first sat in Eric’s mustang was that the carpet looked original. It also reminded me of a 20 year old dog. It was grey on the edges, and amazingly warn out. Having replaced the carpet in my coupe, I figured this would be a pretty easy replace with a big impact on the feel of the car from the driver seat. After having the new carpet sitting in the box for a few months, its time to get it done.

Continue reading “New Carpet for the 65 Coupe”

Fresh Air Vent Restoration

When I did the 67 coupe, I bought a new fresh air vent. Looking at the one I had in the car previously, it was already a reproduction, so no point in trying to keep it. The reproductions are plastic, where the originals are metal. The 65 came with the original, which is metal, so I thought I would take a shot at cleaning it up and see how it comes out.

Continue reading “Fresh Air Vent Restoration”

Restoring Rear Side Vent Shutters

The fastback has unique louvers on the side, with functioning fresh air vents. They came in one of the boxes when I bought the project. While I am on lockdown, I have been going through the boxes, looking for small projects. This one is pretty straight forward and needs to be done before its finished, so might as well do it now.

Continue reading “Restoring Rear Side Vent Shutters”

Mounting a Sanden AC Compressor with the 5.0 Serpentine Belt

The last piece I need in order to put the belt on is the AC Compressor. I ordered a vintage air setup and plan on making some modifications to get it installed in a way that keeps it a little more concealed. Even then, I still need to get the compressor on the engine, and it doesn’t just bolt on with the original 5.0 serpentine belt setup. But there is a fix for that.

Continue reading “Mounting a Sanden AC Compressor with the 5.0 Serpentine Belt”

Street or Track 12″ Rear Disc Install

With the rear housing hung, its time to finish the rest of the things that get the car back on the ground. This means installing the gear carrier, axles, and brakes. I did this a couple times, and asked Shaun some questions along the way. I am much more comfortable with this setup now, but I still have a few things to figure out with the plumbing before it’s done. I am pushing that off until I take the rear off to paint the body.

Continue reading “Street or Track 12″ Rear Disc Install”

Street or Track 3 Link Rear End

After putting the SoT front end on the 65, I convinced myself I couldn’t go cheap and put the original rear back in. Looking for a smoother ride with a bonus of adjustable height, I matched the rear with the front and went to a SoT 9″ rear with 3.50 gears and 12″ disc brakes. Fortunately, parts arrived today, just one day before we go into Covid-19 lockdown.

Continue reading “Street or Track 3 Link Rear End”

Getting Eric’s 65 on the Road

With the shop done, I thought I would get Eric’s 65 road worthy. It usually starts, but it can run rough. Sometimes it doesn’t start though. I also have no idea how the brakes look, or how well it stops since it hasn’t driven further than onto the trailer. I can say that the tires look old and starting to rot. With all that, it gets to be the first project on the lift.

Continue reading “Getting Eric’s 65 on the Road”