This week I learned that reclocking an alternator is a thing. It solved a long standing problem I have had and have been worried about since I put the 3G in the coupe. Evidently, its a simple procedure to change the orientation of the terminals on the back vs the mount points on the front. The more you know.Continue reading “Reclocking the Alternator”
The dash lights on the convertible don’t work. The bezel is faded with the chrome areas turned to faded grey and peeling. The lenses are fogged, though not as bad as my coupe was. All of this combined tells me it’s a good project to replace some parts and see why the lights aren’t working. Maybe some upgraded bulbs along the way.Continue reading “New Instrument Bezel and Lenses”
One of the “mod” parts of my resto-mod 67 is the instrument cluster. Since it started pretty low end, it didn’t have anything useful in the dash. Even though it had a 3 speed, it didn’t have a tachometer. Part of fixing that, I went with all modern gauges that look a little nicer, with newer technology. Continue reading “Instrument Cluster Rebuild”
I have a number of small things to button up as I move on to the next big project for the interior. The first is to get the washer pump pedal installed, securing the passenger side of the firewall insulation as well. I have some wiring beautification to do in that same area, so might as well check it off the list. Maybe time to look into the fenders as well. Continue reading “More odds and ends”
The electrical in front of the firewall took a little more research than the rest. I didn’t have pictures of where everything was before, and on top of that, it wasn’t exactly original, or good when I started. I got lucky though, Randy had a very similar 67 in his shop recently that has not been restored, still with the original 6 cylinder motor. I was able to take a few reference pictures to get some idea how things should route.
With the rear wiring done, I had to do the part I was avoiding: the inside. In prep, I have been buying new chrome bezels and such for the ignition switch and headlights so I should be ready. One thing I haven’t gotten yet was a wiring fastener kit for all the various clips needed to keep the wiring in place. That should be easily left for the cleanup stage though.
Wiring has been pretty intimidating for me. Not only is it expensive, there are a lot of details that I just don’t know. Since I didn’t take out the original wiring, I don’t have pictures of how it all looked previously. That just adds to the anxiety of re-wiring the whole car. Not to mention not being able to test anything until everything is done. Well, no point putting it off any longer. Time to jump in head first. Continue reading “Wiring – The Beginning”