One thing I have learned with this build is that all projects lead back to one that has to be done at the head of a long line of projects. Right now, the one thing at the head of the stack for many projects is the headliner. That is holding up the front and back glass, the upper trim, the door weather stripping, the back interior panels, on to the carpet. So that’s what’s next.
When it came to seats, I had a number of options. Many people use a later model so that there is a headrest. Some as close as a 69 mustang seat. Others a late 80’s or later. While it would be nice to have the leather seats I have in my 05, I wanted to stay with the original look. Even then, there were options. I went with an upgraded sport seat which has improved foam and support, but keeps the original frame and style.
I have a number of small things to button up as I move on to the next big project for the interior. The first is to get the washer pump pedal installed, securing the passenger side of the firewall insulation as well. I have some wiring beautification to do in that same area, so might as well check it off the list. Maybe time to look into the fenders as well. Continue reading “More odds and ends”
It’s been a long time since I had a steering wheel in the car. The main thing holing me up has been the fact that I need to cut the steering column to accommodate the Borgeson conversion. Well, today I stopped avoiding it and made the cut. I made this post picture heavy since I had a hard time finding pictures of some of the parts as I was learning.
The electrical in front of the firewall took a little more research than the rest. I didn’t have pictures of where everything was before, and on top of that, it wasn’t exactly original, or good when I started. I got lucky though, Randy had a very similar 67 in his shop recently that has not been restored, still with the original 6 cylinder motor. I was able to take a few reference pictures to get some idea how things should route.
The last big thing in the old parts pile is the heater box. It’s not cheap to replace, but looking at it’s condition, and I imagine the smell, I opted to go with all new. I did tear this apart 20 years ago when I replaced the heater core, and remember thinking back then that I should replace it, if that tells you anything.
With the rear wiring done, I had to do the part I was avoiding: the inside. In prep, I have been buying new chrome bezels and such for the ignition switch and headlights so I should be ready. One thing I haven’t gotten yet was a wiring fastener kit for all the various clips needed to keep the wiring in place. That should be easily left for the cleanup stage though.