289 Ready for Assembly – Step 1: Short Block

After tearing down the 302 and realizing it was a 79 block dressed up with 68 parts, I found an original early 68 289 block that will fit the period correct requirement for the 67. I switched gears mid stream and had the machine shop stop on the 302 and finish the 289 for this project. Well, they are done and I have the block and heads, plus all the various parts back at the house.

Continue reading “289 Ready for Assembly – Step 1: Short Block”

A New Engine for the Convertible

On my quest to make the convertible work well, and keep it period correct, I ran into the engine transplant. While doing the power steering, the front end and exhaust started getting in the way of period correct replacement parts. I got the idea while at Rick’s the other day that maybe I could tinker on an engine rebuild using all period correct parts outside of the block and rotating assembly. So I brought home the engine Rick and I pulled out of a recent 68 he picked up for salvage parts. It’s full of surprises, but I’m willing to see if it will fit the bill.

Continue reading “A New Engine for the Convertible”

Mounting a Sanden AC Compressor with the 5.0 Serpentine Belt

The last piece I need in order to put the belt on is the AC Compressor. I ordered a vintage air setup and plan on making some modifications to get it installed in a way that keeps it a little more concealed. Even then, I still need to get the compressor on the engine, and it doesn’t just bolt on with the original 5.0 serpentine belt setup. But there is a fix for that.

Continue reading “Mounting a Sanden AC Compressor with the 5.0 Serpentine Belt”

Getting Eric’s 65 on the Road

With the shop done, I thought I would get Eric’s 65 road worthy. It usually starts, but it can run rough. Sometimes it doesn’t start though. I also have no idea how the brakes look, or how well it stops since it hasn’t driven further than onto the trailer. I can say that the tires look old and starting to rot. With all that, it gets to be the first project on the lift.

Continue reading “Getting Eric’s 65 on the Road”

5.0 Serpentine System with a 3G 130 Amp Alternator

The next big piece off the pile in the garage is the alternator and bracket. It had the original 2G alternator on it when I got it, and I took it off as an assembly. The assembly included the bracket, the alternator and the tensioner. All of it looked sufficiently 30 years old, and original.

Continue reading “5.0 Serpentine System with a 3G 130 Amp Alternator”