Street or Track 12″ Rear Disc Install

With the rear housing hung, its time to finish the rest of the things that get the car back on the ground. This means installing the gear carrier, axles, and brakes. I did this a couple times, and asked Shaun some questions along the way. I am much more comfortable with this setup now, but I still have a few things to figure out with the plumbing before it’s done. I am pushing that off until I take the rear off to paint the body.

Continue reading “Street or Track 12″ Rear Disc Install”

Getting Eric’s 65 on the Road

With the shop done, I thought I would get Eric’s 65 road worthy. It usually starts, but it can run rough. Sometimes it doesn’t start though. I also have no idea how the brakes look, or how well it stops since it hasn’t driven further than onto the trailer. I can say that the tires look old and starting to rot. With all that, it gets to be the first project on the lift.

Continue reading “Getting Eric’s 65 on the Road”

Street or Track 13″ Disc Brakes

The 65 is getting some upgrades while I build it. To go along with the new front end, I decided to go with a brake upgrade based on a recommendation from Street or Track. I chose the Street or Track 13×1.25″ 4 piston disc setup. This does commit me to a 17″ wheel, but I think that will work well on this car.

Continue reading “Street or Track 13″ Disc Brakes”

Front Suspension Replacement

With the spindles loaded with the new brakes, it is time to tear apart the front end and rebuild it with all new parts. I have new upper and lower control arms from OpenTracker Racing, as well as Street or Track adjustable strut arms, and a roller spring perch from OpenTracker. Since I am replacing drum brakes, I will probably have to fabricate some lines as well, so they line up with the new disc demarcation point for the flexible lines.

Continue reading “Front Suspension Replacement”

CSRP Stock Style Disc Brakes

When I picked up the convertible, the front end shook and it was nearly uncontrollable when I hit a pothole. The pothole problem turned out to be the front right lower control arm not being tightened down, so the camber went all over with every bump. After fixing that, it still shakes. I decided to get a fresh starting point by replacing the control arms, the strut rods, the spring perches, and the idler arm. I think the shake may be the idler, so I will replace that first and give it a test drive. I ordered all the parts at once though, so no waiting a week in between for parts.

Continue reading “CSRP Stock Style Disc Brakes”

Resurrecting an 8 inch rear

The first thing my son said when I brought home his ’67 was that we need to put a bigger motor in it. Our children do become us. I did the same thing and ended up with no engine in the car for many years. I am going to do my best to help him avoid that. To that end, rather than put more work in the front or rear brakes that are on the car, I am working on putting a V8 5 lug setup on it. For the rear, that means recovering an old 8 inch rear end Randy had growing into the earth.

Continue reading “Resurrecting an 8 inch rear”

70 Disc Brakes

The 65 project came with a pile of new and used brake parts. There are what appears to be the original drum fronts including the whole assembly from control arm out. There is also a pair of disc spindles/rotors and caliper mounts as well as a pair of hubs I can’t identify. For the disc spindles, there is a pair of brand new rotors, calipers, and tie rod ends. A good start to swapping over to disc.

Continue reading “70 Disc Brakes”