As these projects go, once I can get the top most dependency done, things just start falling into place. The interior is waiting on the carpeting. Carpeting is waiting on the sound deadener and padding. This week, that came in so I got to work.
Things are coming together for the interior this week. Some of the finishing touch parts have arrived and are really pulling things together. I was finally able to align the glove box, and the radio bezel arrived.
With the headliner in, the next step down the side is the roof rail. This is pretty straight forward, but it has one catch. the stainless steel rail isn’t reproduced. Not a big deal since it’s more functional than visible, but I spent a bunch of time trying to clean mine up to reuse anyhow.
One thing I have learned with this build is that all projects lead back to one that has to be done at the head of a long line of projects. Right now, the one thing at the head of the stack for many projects is the headliner. That is holding up the front and back glass, the upper trim, the door weather stripping, the back interior panels, on to the carpet. So that’s what’s next.
When it came to seats, I had a number of options. Many people use a later model so that there is a headrest. Some as close as a 69 mustang seat. Others a late 80’s or later. While it would be nice to have the leather seats I have in my 05, I wanted to stay with the original look. Even then, there were options. I went with an upgraded sport seat which has improved foam and support, but keeps the original frame and style.
I have a number of small things to button up as I move on to the next big project for the interior. The first is to get the washer pump pedal installed, securing the passenger side of the firewall insulation as well. I have some wiring beautification to do in that same area, so might as well check it off the list. Maybe time to look into the fenders as well. Continue reading “More odds and ends”
It’s been a long time since I had a steering wheel in the car. The main thing holing me up has been the fact that I need to cut the steering column to accommodate the Borgeson conversion. Well, today I stopped avoiding it and made the cut. I made this post picture heavy since I had a hard time finding pictures of some of the parts as I was learning.