As I am getting to the point of starting it for the first time, near the end of my rundown list is getting the carburetor linkage figured out. Details are important, and connecting the gas pedal to the engine is one of those details. Continue reading “Carburetor Linkage”
Having done some research, I decided I wouldn’t be restoring the original fuel injection on the 93 5.0 that came with the 65. If you remember, my previous investigation showed the engine was a 5.0 High Output from a 93 Mustang GT. It originally had what I consider a pretty ugly EFI system on it. It actually had parts for a second as well. I have decided I will go Fuel Injection, but I plan on going with one of the modern replacements like FiTech or a Holley Sniper. Continue reading “Tearing down the 5.0 HO”
I tell my self the last major part I need to buy is the drive shaft. I am sure there are other things that will take money, but the drive shaft seems like the last barrier to driving. The other things would all be about finishing or comfort. Back to Modern Driveline to finish what I started there. Continue reading “Driveshaft and U-Joints”
I haven’t posted in a while because all of the projects are either half done, or hard to get pictures of. With the transmission, working in my garage without a lift makes it very difficult to get a picture. In addition, like every project with this car, there is always one more thing to finish, and I hate to write up half done projects.
My last major project/purchase for the Mustang is the transmission. I picked up a complete conversion kit from Modern Driveline, who specializes in Mustang conversions. I went with a 5 speed manual T-5 which is mid 90’s technology. The 5th gear is an overdrive which should make it rev lower while driving at freeway speeds, leaving the lower gears for the fun. Continue reading “T-5 Transmission Starting Point”
It seems like I have been all over the board the past couple of weeks. Mostly, I have been trying to get the engine in the car. There have been a few side projects that have come up, needing resolution before I could get there, but I finally did. It may not be final, but it’s nice to see a picture of it mounted. It’s been 20 years since this car has had an engine, so this is fairly momentous.
I thought I would put the engine assembly all in one place, even though I have other posts engine related. This is mostly a photo shoot showing it go together.
The engine I am using is an early 302 that came from the restoration shop. It was already broken down and looked pretty good. It went directly to the local automotive machine shop for inspection and machining to get it in spec and assembled like new. At least up to a long block. The rest is on me.