The fastback has unique louvers on the side, with functioning fresh air vents. They came in one of the boxes when I bought the project. While I am on lockdown, I have been going through the boxes, looking for small projects. This one is pretty straight forward and needs to be done before its finished, so might as well do it now.Continue reading “Restoring Rear Side Vent Shutters”
This is something I probably should have done a while ago. It’s one of the last few things on or under the dash that I need to finish. I have had a taped bundle of parts sitting in the pile from the tear down that I finally opened up and took inventory of and got to work putting it all back together.Continue reading “Parking Brake”
Instrument Cluster Rebuild
One of the “mod” parts of my resto-mod 67 is the instrument cluster. Since it started pretty low end, it didn’t have anything useful in the dash. Even though it had a 3 speed, it didn’t have a tachometer. Part of fixing that, I went with all modern gauges that look a little nicer, with newer technology. Continue reading “Instrument Cluster Rebuild”
Carpet and beyond
As these projects go, once I can get the top most dependency done, things just start falling into place. The interior is waiting on the carpeting. Carpeting is waiting on the sound deadener and padding. This week, that came in so I got to work.
Things are coming together for the interior this week. Some of the finishing touch parts have arrived and are really pulling things together. I was finally able to align the glove box, and the radio bezel arrived.
Installing Roofrail weatherstriping
With the headliner in, the next step down the side is the roof rail. This is pretty straight forward, but it has one catch. the stainless steel rail isn’t reproduced. Not a big deal since it’s more functional than visible, but I spent a bunch of time trying to clean mine up to reuse anyhow.Continue reading “Installing Roofrail weatherstriping”
One thing I have learned with this build is that all projects lead back to one that has to be done at the head of a long line of projects. Right now, the one thing at the head of the stack for many projects is the headliner. That is holding up the front and back glass, the upper trim, the door weather stripping, the back interior panels, on to the carpet. So that’s what’s next.
When it came to seats, I had a number of options. Many people use a later model so that there is a headrest. Some as close as a 69 mustang seat. Others a late 80’s or later. While it would be nice to have the leather seats I have in my 05, I wanted to stay with the original look. Even then, there were options. I went with an upgraded sport seat which has improved foam and support, but keeps the original frame and style.
Finishing the Steering Install
It’s been a long time since I had a steering wheel in the car. The main thing holding me up has been the fact that I need to cut the steering column to accommodate the Borgeson conversion. Well, today I stopped avoiding it and made the cut. I made this post picture heavy since I had a hard time finding pictures of some of the parts as I was learning.
The last big thing in the old parts pile is the heater box. It’s not cheap to replace, but looking at it’s condition, and I imagine the smell, I opted to go with all new. I did tear this apart 20 years ago when I replaced the heater core, and remember thinking back then that I should replace it, if that tells you anything.Continue reading “Climate Control”