I previously did a write-up when I rebuilt my parking brake on my 67 coupe, I didn’t replace the handle as mine was in fine condition. With my son’s 67 coupe, the handle was broken off so I went ahead and rebuilt the mechanism and replaced the handle. There are a few details I learned, so I thought I would share.Continue reading “Replacing the Parking Brake Handle”
One of the “mod” parts of my resto-mod 67 is the instrument cluster. Since it started pretty low end, it didn’t have anything useful in the dash. Even though it had a 3 speed, it didn’t have a tachometer. Part of fixing that, I went with all modern gauges that look a little nicer, with newer technology. Continue reading “Instrument Cluster Rebuild”
As these projects go, once I can get the top most dependency done, things just start falling into place. The interior is waiting on the carpeting. Carpeting is waiting on the sound deadener and padding. This week, that came in so I got to work.
Things are coming together for the interior this week. Some of the finishing touch parts have arrived and are really pulling things together. I was finally able to align the glove box, and the radio bezel arrived.
With the headliner in, the next step down the side is the roof rail. This is pretty straight forward, but it has one catch. the stainless steel rail isn’t reproduced. Not a big deal since it’s more functional than visible, but I spent a bunch of time trying to clean mine up to reuse anyhow.Continue reading “Installing Roofrail weatherstriping”
One thing I have learned with this build is that all projects lead back to one that has to be done at the head of a long line of projects. Right now, the one thing at the head of the stack for many projects is the headliner. That is holding up the front and back glass, the upper trim, the door weather stripping, the back interior panels, on to the carpet. So that’s what’s next.
When it came to seats, I had a number of options. Many people use a later model so that there is a headrest. Some as close as a 69 mustang seat. Others a late 80’s or later. While it would be nice to have the leather seats I have in my 05, I wanted to stay with the original look. Even then, there were options. I went with an upgraded sport seat which has improved foam and support, but keeps the original frame and style.
It’s been a long time since I had a steering wheel in the car. The main thing holding me up has been the fact that I need to cut the steering column to accommodate the Borgeson conversion. Well, today I stopped avoiding it and made the cut. I made this post picture heavy since I had a hard time finding pictures of some of the parts as I was learning.
The last big thing in the old parts pile is the heater box. It’s not cheap to replace, but looking at it’s condition, and I imagine the smell, I opted to go with all new. I did tear this apart 20 years ago when I replaced the heater core, and remember thinking back then that I should replace it, if that tells you anything.Continue reading “Climate Control”
With the rear wiring done, I had to do the part I was avoiding: the inside. In prep, I have been buying new chrome bezels and such for the ignition switch and headlights so I should be ready. One thing I haven’t gotten yet was a wiring fastener kit for all the various clips needed to keep the wiring in place. That should be easily left for the cleanup stage though.