More odds and ends

I have a number of small things to button up as I move on to the next big project for the interior.  The first is to get the washer pump pedal installed, securing the passenger side of the firewall insulation as well. I have some wiring beautification to do in that same area, so might as well check it off the list. Maybe time to look into the fenders as well.

The firewall pad came in 2 parts, divided by the steering column/pedal assembly.  I was holding back on the driver side since the new floor pan left me having to drill the holes for the foot pump. Well, I cant put it off any longer. Unfortunately, it required me removing the fresh air vent (coffee can) again, so I can get access to the firewall mounting location. Not really the firewall exactly, but I don’t know what else to call it. It is definitely far enough up there to be annoying to drill though.

Skipping some drama, I got it in. I also cleaned up the wiring a little, adding some clips.

dsc_1876

I still need to drill the holes to screw the high beam switch to the floor, but I am going to wait until I get to the carpet stage to make sure it is right. I understand there will be a hole cut int he carpet for it, but I prefer to get everything in place before I drill or cut holes.

The next thing I spent a little time on was starting to assemble the headlight buckets. I have had these parts sitting in the room upstairs since they came back from painting. Now that I am doing the wiring, I have had to test fit them and that got me thinking about them.  So I decided to start making bigger parts from smaller parts.

dsc_1867

The light buckets just bolt onto the fender. I hope I am not getting ahead of myself here, but it doesn’t look like I will need to do something else first, causing me to take it all apart later. The only thing required is the rubber gasket. You can see the channel going around the outside (bottom and left in this picture). I already had the gasket from when I attached the rear quarter extensions.

dsc_1870

Here is is on the bucket. Not a big deal, but also not something I would have thought of had I not run across it previously.

dsc_1872

And they just bolt on with the 3 bolts from the bucket, careful to compress the gasket evenly to keep nice lines. Well, as well as ensuring the bucket is smooth with the side and top of the fender too. Quick and easy. Making the fenders heavier and more difficult to keep moving around.

Since I was messing with the fenders, I went ahead and got the splash guards as well. I wasn’t sure if they might obstruct my path for wiring the headlights, so I wanted to get them installed just to be sure. (spoiler alert, they don’t get in the way). For these, I wanted the splash guards that come with the rubber flange pre-attached. I found them at Virginia Classic Mustangs.

dsc_1954

The front ones were easy. Here, the right fender is the smaller one.

dsc_1960

Not sure why they are different, but the bolt patterns answer any questions on which side they go on. More weight to the fenders.

The rear splash guards were another story. I had to do some cutting with my tin snips to get things to work. I also had to do some research to learn about the lower bracket, which is used to secure the fender bottom edge, behind the wheel.

dsc_1963

Starting point. You can see the 2 holes where the screws will go through. the third is at the bottom edge. I didn’t have a hole in the top on the car, but the replacement guard was tapped for it. 3 is good enough for me.

dsc_1965

In order to get the bracket to fit, I had to do some cutting with my tin snips. You can see the original shape on the driver side on the left here, and the cut on the passenger side on the right. The original part wont even go on well enough to line up the holes to attach it. And you need even more to get the L bracket in place. After cutting, I also took a few swings at it with the BFH to flatten things out, including the staple.

dsc_1968

Here’s the back side view. I put the fender on again to see if the holes line up as there was some question on how it actually goes. Notice it is also between the body and the splash guard. There is a little lip on the inside edge facing the tire which lines up with the inside of the splash guard. Helps to install it correctly.

dsc_1970

And from the front. You cant really see the bracket, just the slight line from the lip facing the front. It didn’t line up well either. I also had to file out the bottom hole in order to get the screws started. The tapped holes were not quite in the right location, and the body had ovals to give room to fit. In the end, I was able to persuade it on.

Parts

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s