As these projects go, once I can get the top most dependency done, things just start falling into place. The interior is waiting on the carpeting. Carpeting is waiting on the sound deadener and padding. This week, that came in so I got to work.
Things are coming together for the interior this week. Some of the finishing touch parts have arrived and are really pulling things together. I was finally able to align the glove box, and the radio bezel arrived.
One thing I have learned with this build is that all projects lead back to one that has to be done at the head of a long line of projects. Right now, the one thing at the head of the stack for many projects is the headliner. That is holding up the front and back glass, the upper trim, the door weather stripping, the back interior panels, on to the carpet. So that’s what’s next.
When it came to seats, I had a number of options. Many people use a later model so that there is a headrest. Some as close as a 69 mustang seat. Others a late 80’s or later. While it would be nice to have the leather seats I have in my 05, I wanted to stay with the original look. Even then, there were options. I went with an upgraded sport seat which has improved foam and support, but keeps the original frame and style.
Breaking down the bucket seats
My original seats are in need of some love. My plan is to tear them down to the frame, powder coat them, and build them back up to near original. I haven’t yet decided if I should go with some of the upgrades like padding and headrest or not. First step is to get them ready to rebuild though.Continue reading “Breaking down the bucket seats”
The plan for the seats is to remove the original upholstery and padding, blast the frames, then powder coat them. By the end, I hope to have no trace of the old smell and hopefully get rid of any squeaking as well. As an added bonus, the surface rust should be cleaned up and the frames protected from future rust.Continue reading “Seat teardown”