65 Mustang Motor Mounts

It seems the 65 had a unique motor mount unlike the rest of the classic mustangs. Since I have them, I decided to clean them up and use them. The other option was to buy the 66+ mounts and mounting plates. Or, my crazy motor purchases may make me buy drop mounts like I put in the 67 coupe. So, I started with the most economical option first.

Continue reading “65 Mustang Motor Mounts”

Engine assembly – part 1

With the engine back in the garage, I need to start assembling it. I plan on using the original serpentine system, so I have to clean up a bunch of parts and get them back in place. It’s a good thing I took a bunch of pictures, because tearing it down a year ago left a lot of gaps in my memory. I put all the bolts in one bin, but figuring out which is which took a bit of digging through pictures.

Continue reading “Engine assembly – part 1”

331 Stroker Home from the Machine Shop

After an extended period of time, I was finally able to pick up my engine from the automotive machine shop. Unfortunately, they started backed up when I dropped it off, then the owner (one man shop) had some health issues, backing up everything. He is doing well and finally caught up with some projects. There is always a wait and I was a few months in line before I could drop it off, which I read as a good sign for quality output. Based on the engine in the coupe with no issues, I am 1 for 1, with #2 looking like a win.

Continue reading “331 Stroker Home from the Machine Shop”

Swapping a 3 speed for a 5

After replacing the rear end with a stock V8 rear with 2.79 gears, the poor inline 6 engine just feels like a dog behind that 3 speed transmission. I worry if I have to start out on a hill, it won’t be able to go. That pushed me into using the 4 cylinder T5 transmission I have in the garage for this car. I am hoping that the gearing in this T5 means I wont have to replace the rear gears later as well. Gear math isn’t my thing, so I will just have to wait and see.

Continue reading “Swapping a 3 speed for a 5”

CVF Racing Pulley System

When I was assembling the engine, I used mostly stock parts. I had some issues getting the PA Performance 130 amp alternator fitting due to it being larger. It all started with the ’72 timing chain cover, but I was never able to really get things like I wanted. I had a constant belt squeal that just wouldn’t go away. Possibly related to the power steering pump. Trying to fix all those things at once, I ordered a CVF Racing pulley system. As a bonus, its a pretty nice dress up.

Continue reading “CVF Racing Pulley System”