Vintage LED Sequential Tail Lights

I have wanted sequential tail lights on my mustangs for many years. This is also a project I had considered on the 2005 when I first bought it, but just never did it. When I was building the 67, I knew I wanted to do it, but I didn’t want to add more variables for issues during the build, so I put it off to later. Later has arrived.

I ordered the 67 tail light set from Vintage LEDs. Great service, quick delivery, and over all very impressed with everything. The quality of the board (it’s not a light bulb, or harness), the detailed instructions with pictures, and the delivery are all top notch.

To get started, I had to remove my tail light buckets. I reused the originals previously, with just some paint on the outside to protect them since the original plating was long gone. The inside is still showing a bit of surface rust, so I scrubbed it a bit with some steel wool, and moved on. I also reused the original rubber gasket that seals the lens to the body. The replacement I ordered at that time had terrible fit and was about half an inch too small. The original is still soft and fits perfectly tight, it just looks a little rough where it was touching the tail light panel.

The board just sets in place, to be held with the 6 retaining screws for the lens. The lens gasket sets between the board and the lens, keeping the board from shifting around.

LED board in place

I should mention that following the directions, I plugged in the board before doing anything, and verified it worked. They are the same for both sides, but you need to set the switch to tell it to use the left or right sequence, and you can’t do that after it’s installed.

Lens installed and screwed in
Original lens gasket in place

I also ordered a pair of flashers to be used with the LED lights. The installation instructions said they were not required if only the tail lights are replaced with LED, but the front lights are still original. I thought I would replace them anyhow, but I ran into a snag. With the wiring being a new American Autowire kit, the flasher plugs in directly to the fuse block. The original flasher has 2 prongs, but the new LED flasher has 3 prongs, one being a ground. I can’t just plug them in. To install them, I am going to have to get an adapter harness to plug the flasher in to, and to plug into the fuse block. Fortunately, since I don’t have the front LEDs yet, things will work while I work on putting that together.

Other than that, it was a simple project taking about half an hour, and I am a fan of the new look, including how bright they are. Then I realized this is something I will probably never get to see myself as I am always the driver.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s