Fuel line

The 67 had several options for the fuel line, and I need to figure out the one that’s going to work the best with the least amount of work. When it came down to it, the research took a lot longer than the install.

Since my car originally had an inline 6 engine, I am going to be putting in a different fuel line that what I had previously to match my future V8. As with the rest of these early/late model changes, I did some research to see if I could use the late model version, on the assumption that they changed it mid year because the later design was an improvement.  As with other results, I found that I need to stick with the early routing.

Here is one of the few pictures I can find of my early engine compartment that shows the fuel line.

DSC_0094

Down near the driver side motor mount bracket, and again around the steering box, you can see the hard fuel line, then again the rubber end. I assume the rubber part was the previous owners “V8 conversion kit”. The real V8 hard line comes into the engine compartment through one of the holes right where the end of the rubber hose ends in the picture.

OK, so far, the I6 fuel line is out. I am pretty sure it would mess with my Borgeson anyhow. So the next question was about the late model V8 routing. The key difference was the early routed through the transmission tunnel, where the later went through the torque box, just behind the driver side wheel well.  On the late models, there is a small, maybe 3/4″ hole going through the torque box for the line, but mine is solid. I’m not going to drill, so I am set with the early V8 single solid line. I say single line because the late model had to split the line to deal with getting it through the torque box to accommodate all the bends on either end.

The next issue I ran into was the brake line routing. I originally had drum brakes. Well, I put the drum brake lines back in mostly because I had the hardware and the lines themselves are the same pipe. Again, though, they route differently. The drums have a 180 degree turn and the mounting bracket is low, facing horizontal.

WP_20160530_16_54_35_Pro

On the original disc cars, the bracket where the brake lines switch from solid to flexible faces up and the line runs vertical, and it leaves the brake lines much more out of the way.  Either way, there were V8s with drums, so the configuration I have should be a stock design, so I shouldn’t have to do anything fancy. I am just hoping all of the holes for mounting and routing are in the right places. Looks like nothing is going to get in the way of each other here.

DSC_1453

Starting from the front, I used the rubber grommet from the mounting kit to seal the end in the side of the engine compartment hole. You can see it on the far left of the picture. I took a guess and used the lower hole. It just seemed to line up better, so I hope that was right. Looking at the original picture, neither appeared to be used previously. You cant see it in this picture, but there is a mounting clip just down line from the grommet, about 5 inches. In this case, just behind the front of the upper control arm.

From there, it runs down, and with the single line, curves under then frame rail to the inside and starts following the frame rail back.

DSC_1456

It’s a little hard to tell with this picture, but the Borgeson is about 4 inches away from the frame rail where the tube wraps around. It really isn’t right on top of it. There’s where I put my second mounting clip.

I should mention that for each of the clip holes, I figured I better tap them out first. The car has been sitting a while and has gone through a lot with the restoration and Raptor coating. The tap did it’s job and cleaned up the threads nice. I probably would have had issues otherwise, looking at the before and after.

DSC_1462

Over all, the bends were pretty good with this tube. You can see from here, it follows the frame rail back and gets a clip at the end, then rides up into the transmission tunnel.

DSC_1460

It comes out of the tunnel and heads left over the left side of the wheel well. There it got another clip.  This one didn’t fit well since the bend was slightly early. I had to do a little tuning to get the tube snug and then the clip seated correctly. It then heads over and down the front of the tank where it meets the fuel outlet on the tank itself.

I still need to get some rubber hose and clamps to finish the job in the back, but I expect that’s as easy as heading to the local automotive store.  With all of the other problems I have had, this install was pretty easy once I did the research and made sure I was getting the right parts.

Well, the one part I got wrong was the late 67 V8 mounting kit. I needed one more clip for the tank, so I used an original. Also, I am not sure if the grommet was supposed to be for the torque box, or the side wall. Either way, the side wall looks good, and I don’t have a hole in my torque box. I am fairly certain I could have gotten clips at the local parts store too.

Parts

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s