I got the parts in for the linkage and took a few minutes to put it together. I should get a couple nuts to lock it down, but I don’t think it’s going to do any moving anyhow.
This time, I went with an inch longer rod since I have stock motor mounts, not the Ron Morris which allow me to move it back an inch like the coupe. I also extended it a bit more, so I probably could have used an 11″ rather than the 10″.
This setup moves the rotation point out from the center of the arc a little more than the stock style connector, so the pedal has a little more fidelity to it now.
Along with the rod, I got the same LH/RH threaded heim joints. This time, I bought some hex head 10×32 1″ screws just to make it a little easier to install. I didn’t like the Phillips heads I used before. Using the original rubber sleeve and plastic bushing on the pedal side fit the screw perfectly. I did have a little slack on the carb side. Next time I may get a slightly larger heim joint for that end, and a bigger screw to take up the slack. I don’t expect it to cause any issues since it only pulls, but perfection is a thing.
It’s a 10 minute job max and now fits securely. The only issue I have now is the after market air cleaner (which I don’t like) touches the linkage rod slightly. It doesn’t cause it to bind, but really getting on the gas, I can see it get pushed up on the driver side slightly. When I replace it, I will have to see if I can buy something with a little less drop on the bottom, just to ensure no issues in the long haul.
The original post on my coupe linkage install, including parts links can be found here.
One thought on “Update: Carburetor linkage upgrade”
Pingback: Carburetor and Pedal Replacement – Brad Albrecht's Mustang Restoration Projects