It’s been a while since I have been able to spend much time on the 67. Partly because I have been busy, and partly due to my tendency to over analyze when it comes time to spend money. Wheels and tires are some coin, so I had to do my thing and over analyze it. In the end, I think it was worth it.
This post is going to be mostly gratuitous pictures of the 67 finally sitting on it’s own suspension after over a year on a dolly or jack stands. It’s a milestone I am glad to finally see.
So, to decide on the look, remember I am modeling some of the aesthetics on my ’05 GT, which of course is based on the 68 Fastback. Well, the ’05 has aluminum wheels, so I wanted to go with a classic style mixed with a modern feel. Rather than the traditional steel and chrome Magnum 500, I went for a 15 inch billet aluminum Magnum 500 from Legendary Wheel Company.
I couldn’t be happier with the results. Add in the traditional BF Goodrich Radial T/A with raised white lettering to complete the classic look. I opted for the black mustang logo center caps as well. A little under stated that doesn’t call much attention to themselves.
It was dark by the time I got it on the ground, so the pictures are bad, but I was excited to see it on it’s own suspension finally.
Excited enough I wanted to see what it looked like with a fender on it. So, I brought one out and tried it on. Definitely needs some motor weight in it, but it’s good progress.
Looking at the positive camber, I was worried that something wasn’t setting up right with a whole new suspension. I messed around with it for a bit, trying to adjust it as much as I can, but I couldn’t get it reasonable. In the end, I took the advice to put the crazy away and don’t worry about alignment until I get full vehicle weight on the suspension. I expect to see the camber come back into the right place once the front end gets pushed down some. Though it’s a bummer not to be able to see the stance and how low it will be.
Last little note, before I put the wheels on, I finished off the hoses in the back with fuel and axle venting. I had a hard time finding a pic of the vent tube, so I figure I should contribute.
Now that I look at it, I seem to be missing the axle bumper stop too. Always another part to buy.
UPDATE: Ultimately, I had to remove the spacer that came with the upper control arm from Global West. That was pushing the UCA out too far, causing way too much positive camber. After that, it was back to a place where it could be aligned.