I haven’t posted in a while because all of the projects are either half done, or hard to get pictures of. With the transmission, working in my garage without a lift makes it very difficult to get a picture. In addition, like every project with this car, there is always one more thing to finish, and I hate to write up half done projects.
My last major project/purchase for the Mustang is the transmission. I picked up a complete conversion kit from Modern Driveline, who specializes in Mustang conversions. I went with a 5 speed manual T-5 which is mid 90’s technology. The 5th gear is an overdrive which should make it rev lower while driving at freeway speeds, leaving the lower gears for the fun. Continue reading “T-5 Transmission Starting Point”
It seems like I have been all over the board the past couple of weeks. Mostly, I have been trying to get the engine in the car. There have been a few side projects that have come up, needing resolution before I could get there, but I finally did. It may not be final, but it’s nice to see a picture of it mounted. It’s been 20 years since this car has had an engine, so this is fairly momentous.
After trying out the original hard fuel line from the pump to the carburetor and it not working, I went with a flexible line. It was a little more involved, but I like how it worked out. Short writeup, but I wanted to share since it was a few rounds of waiting for parts. Continue reading “Fuel Line Fabrication”
I thought I would put the engine assembly all in one place, even though I have other posts engine related. This is mostly a photo shoot showing it go together.
The engine I am using is an early 302 that came from the restoration shop. It was already broken down and looked pretty good. It went directly to the local automotive machine shop for inspection and machining to get it in spec and assembled like new. At least up to a long block. The rest is on me.
As these projects go, once I can get the top most dependency done, things just start falling into place. The interior is waiting on the carpeting. Carpeting is waiting on the sound deadener and padding. This week, that came in so I got to work.
Things are coming together for the interior this week. Some of the finishing touch parts have arrived and are really pulling things together. I was finally able to align the glove box, and the radio bezel arrived.
With the headliner in, the next step down the side is the roof rail. This is pretty straight forward, but it has one catch. the stainless steel rail isn’t reproduced. Not a big deal since it’s more functional than visible, but I spent a bunch of time trying to clean mine up to reuse anyhow.Continue reading “Installing Roofrail weatherstriping”
One thing I have learned with this build is that all projects lead back to one that has to be done at the head of a long line of projects. Right now, the one thing at the head of the stack for many projects is the headliner. That is holding up the front and back glass, the upper trim, the door weather stripping, the back interior panels, on to the carpet. So that’s what’s next.